Dear Neighbors, Friends, Volunteers, Partners, and Donors with the Boys & Girls Club of Morgan County,
During this time of the COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic, our mission holds true – to provide care to kids and families in our community. The safety and security of ALL of our community’s youth, families, friends, businesses & their workers, and the families of those workers are foremost in our hearts, thoughts, and actions.
While we work and wait for solutions to this global and local health crisis, the Boys & Girls Club of Morgan County continues our focus on serving kids, families, and our community with programming and meeting basic needs.
We are postponing our Great Futures Annual Campaign until broad ranging and stabilizing relief is realized and felt among our neighbors, supporters, partners, volunteers, and donors. It is with the health and comfort of the community in mind, that we have decided to postpone having our volunteers contact donors to meet and discuss philanthropic giving.
Our heartfelt and deep gratitude is shared with our Great Futures Annual Campaign Honorary Co-Chairs Mary Beth and Chris Branson and to all of our campaign volunteers – Mark Angermeier, Stephanie Nutter, Katie Hughes, Joan & Brad Justus, Neal McNalley, Vicki Nowak, Ron Overton, Dave Reddick, Brad Robbins, Rachel Reecer, Lois Burgner, Rebecca Williams, Ryan Taylor, BJ Pendill, Kim Richter, Robbi & Kevin Lollar, and Randy Haymaker.
Right now, the Boys & Girls Club of Morgan County’s resolve is as strong as ever to fight this crisis and reach those who need us most, with hope and opportunity, Whatever It Takes! To that end, the Boys & Girls Club of Morgan County is actively doing this work:
- Ensuring that families have access to food. Beginning Monday, March 27th families can pick up healthy snacks and breakfast items, drive through style, Monday through Friday, from 3:15 pm until 4 pm at the Boys & Girls Club of Morgan County, 31 Indianapolis Road, Mooresville. Healthy snacks will be given at no cost and in alignment with the Indiana Department of Education Child and Adult Food Care Program. Thank you to Meijer for partnering and sponsoring our Healthy Snack Distribution program!
- Program Staff are posting virtual programming daily, Monday through Friday for youth and families on our Facebook page, Boys & Girls Club of Morgan County. VIRTUAL PROGRAM CONTENT is on the B&GC of Morgan CO’s Facebook page. Sign in to the “Groups”. Projects and games for all youth and families. Everyday something new is added. https://tinyurl.com/v4yxypx .
- Program Staff are personally reaching out to Club youth and families, especially those who need us most, with direct phone calls. Staff are sharing our concern for their well-being and asking how we can help.
- We are designing procedures for how we can provide in-person programming to families working in essential businesses. We plan to roll out this service as soon as possible in collaboration with, and with direction from, local public health authorities. We have reached out to local essential business to determine the needed for childcare among their staff teams.
- We are supporting social-distancing guidelines to flatten the curve of this health crisis. The safety of our local youth, families, neighbors, most vulnerable Hoosiers, Club volunteers, and staff team continues to be our top priority.
While we ARE postponing our Great Futures Annual Campaign, we cannot postpone fundraising. As a result of COVID -19, many youth will experience greater adversities and set-backs. Time out of school and without appropriate coaching & guidance is harmful, especially for those who are at greatest risk. Going forward, youth will need and benefit from the Club’s programs and services as much as ever.
You are a difference maker! You provide hope and opportunity for youth with the Boys & Girls Club. If you are able to consider making an investment to guide local youth – our kids, our neighbors’ kids – to positive outcomes and responsible, productive, caring active citizenship, then please contact Chris Tann, BGCMC Executive Director or BJ Pendill, BGCMC Board President. Your pledge supports Great Futures for every youth who walks through our doors, Whatever It Takes!
Congratulations to Savannah Hunt, Boys & Girls Club of Morgan County Youth of the Year! Savannah is a State Finalist in the State Alliance of Indiana Boys & Girls Clubs – Youth of the Year Celebration! Savannah ensures the academic success of approximately 22 B&GC youth. Savannah credits Club programs like SmartMoves, Career Launch, Life Skills, and Junior Staff a formative in her life. She works closely with her mentor, Kim, BGCMC Teen Program Coordinator, and assists with jobs around the Club such as serving snacks, prepping for programs, event planning, and mentoring younger Club members. “Multiple children look up to me, every day when I leave the Club I feel like I have accomplished something good”, Savannah said. “That really makes me feel better about myself.”
Healthy self-esteem is fundamental for success in so many areas of life. The development of that self-esteem in us all begins during childhood. Savannah’s “Leadership journey” has already given her a boost of confidence in herself and will continue to do so with each passing week. Each and every day, Boys & Girls Clubs change lives by being intentional with youth – investing in their lives to provide them with opportunities and the tools they need to gain self-confidence, learn new skills, and to believe they can succeed. These are key ingredients to developing caring, productive, responsible citizens in our community. And it is only possible with YOUR donations!
We forge ahead with all of you as we collectively take on the challenges of today so that our kids have the opportunities they deserve tomorrow. With Faith, service, and positive action we, all, come through this situation together – stronger, wiser, and better for each other.